- To understand the various organic reactions and reagents as tools for the synthesis of organic compounds.
- To learn the principles of protecting group chemistry and retro synthetic approach towards organic synthesis.
After the completion of the course, students will be able to –
· To understand the various organic reactions
- To learn about the modern synthetic method and reagent.
- To introduce the basic concept to retrosynthetic analysis, protecting group chemistry,biosynthesis and biomimetic synthesis.
- To learn about the construction of carbocyclic and heterocyclic ring system.
- To learn how to write reaction mechanisms.
- Be able to apply concepts associated with these general reaction types to product prediction, synthesis design, and reaction mechanism.
- Baylis-Hillman reaction – Henry reaction – Nef reaction – Kulinkovich reaction – Ritter reaction – Sakurai reaction – Tishchenko reaction – Brook rearrangement – Tebbeolefination – Metal mediated C-C and C-X coupling reactions: Heck –Stille – Suzuki – Miyaura – Negishi, Sonogashira – Nozaki-Hiyama-Kishi – Buchwald-Hartwig -Ullmann and Glaser coupling reactions. Click reactions (Huisgen 1,3-dipolaraddition).
- Multicomponent reactions-Ugireaction,Passerini reaction and Biginellireaction.
Module 2 :
3.1. Hydride transfer reagents from Group III and Group IV in reductions – LiAlH4, DIBAL-H, Red-Al, NaBH4 and NaCNBH3 -selectrides, trialkylsilanes and trialkylstannane. Aluminum isopropoxide (oxidation and reduction).Reagents such as NBS – DDQ and DCC.Gilmann reagent – DMAP-Borane, PCC,DEAD (Mitsunobureaction).
Construction of Carbocyclic and HeterocyclicRingSystems
- Synthesis of four, five and six-membered rings – photochemical approaches for the synthesis of four membered rings-oxetanes and cyclobutanes – ketene cycloaddition (inter and intra molecular) – Pauson-Khand reaction -Volhardtreaction – Bergman cyclization – Nazarovcyclization – cation-olefin cyclization and radical-olefin cyclization.
- Inter-conversion of ring systems (contraction and expansion) -Demjenov reaction – Reformatsky reaction. Construction of macrocyclic rings-ring closing metathesis (Grubb’scatalyst).
- Formation of heterocyclic rings: 5-membered ring heterocyclic compounds with one or more than one hetero atom like N, S or O – pyrrole – furan – thiophene – imidazole – thiazole -oxazole.