- To understand the various organic reactions and reagents as tools for the synthesis of organic compounds.
- To learn the principles of protecting group chemistry and retro synthetic approach towards organic synthesis.
After the completion of the course, students will be able to –
· To understand the various organic reactions
- To learn about the modern synthetic method and reagent.
- To introduce the basic concept to retrosynthetic analysis, protecting group chemistry,biosynthesis and biomimetic synthesis.
- To learn about the construction of carbocyclic and heterocyclic ring system.
- To learn how to write reaction mechanisms.
- Be able to apply concepts associated with these general reaction types to product prediction, synthesis design, and reaction mechanism.
- Baylis-Hillman reaction – Henry reaction – Nef reaction – Kulinkovich reaction – Ritter reaction – Sakurai reaction – Tishchenko reaction – Brook rearrangement – Tebbeolefination – Metal mediated C-C and C-X coupling reactions: Heck –Stille – Suzuki – Miyaura – Negishi, Sonogashira – Nozaki-Hiyama-Kishi – Buchwald-Hartwig -Ullmann and Glaser coupling reactions. Click reactions (Huisgen 1,3-dipolaraddition).
- Multicomponent reactions-Ugireaction,Passerini reaction and Biginellireaction.
Module 2 :
3.1. Hydride transfer reagents from Group III and Group IV in reductions – LiAlH4, DIBAL-H, Red-Al, NaBH4 and NaCNBH3 -selectrides, trialkylsilanes and trialkylstannane. Aluminum isopropoxide (oxidation and reduction).Reagents such as NBS – DDQ and DCC.Gilmann reagent – DMAP-Borane, PCC,DEAD (Mitsunobureaction).
Construction of Carbocyclic and HeterocyclicRingSystems
- Synthesis of four, five and six-membered rings – photochemical approaches for the synthesis of four membered rings-oxetanes and cyclobutanes – ketene cycloaddition (inter and intra molecular) – Pauson-Khand reaction -Volhardtreaction – Bergman cyclization – Nazarovcyclization – cation-olefin cyclization and radical-olefin cyclization.
- Inter-conversion of ring systems (contraction and expansion) -Demjenov reaction – Reformatsky reaction. Construction of macrocyclic rings-ring closing metathesis (Grubb’scatalyst).
- Formation of heterocyclic rings: 5-membered ring heterocyclic compounds with one or more than one hetero atom like N, S or O – pyrrole – furan – thiophene – imidazole – thiazole -oxazole.
Modern Synthetic Methods
This section deals with the several named reactions which uses new reagents for synthesizing new compounds which involves the formation of new carbon -carbon bond,carbon -heteroatom bond etc.
- Baylis Hillman Reaction and Nef Reaction
- Kulinkovich Reaction, Henry reaction ,Ritter Reaction
- Sakurai Reaction, Tishchenko Reaction,Brook Rearrangement,Tebbe Olefination
- Metal mediated C-C and C-X Coupling reactions
- Buchwald-Hartwig ,Ullmann Reactions,Glaser Coupling Reaction
- Click reactions
- Multicomponent Reactions
This section deals with the reagents used for the reduction of organic compounds and the characteristic features of each reagent
Construction of Carbocyclic and Heterocyclic Ring Systems
This section deals with the different approaches for the construction of carbocyclic and heterocyclic ring systems