To equip the students to apply accounting standards and deal with advanced
practical areas related to valuation, amalgamation, specialised areas and to have a basic
understanding on developments in accounting
1 Providing an in depth understanding about
theoretical and practical aspects of major
Accounting Standards to apply the same in
different practical situations.
2 Ascertain the value of goodwill and value
of companies based on the value of shares
and compare the real value of shares and
with the market prices and identify the
3 In depth understanding about the
determination of purchase consideration in
the event of amalgamation and to prepare
post amalgamation financial statements
4 Develop a clear understanding about
different types of NBFCs, their
provisioning norms and to understand the
concept of NAV of mutual funds through
5 Acquaint with the theoretical aspects of
emerging areas in accounting
Module - 1 Accounting Standards
Module - 3 Accounting for Amalgamation
- Amalgamation in the nature of merger and Amalgamation in the nature of purchase
- Purchase consideration- Pooling of Interest Method and Purchase Method (theory)
- Practical problems on the computation of purchase consideration.
- Treatment of goodwill and reserves under pooling of interest method and purchase method.
- Entries in the books of Purchasing CompanyEntries in the books of Vendor Company.
- Consolidated balance sheet in case of amalgamation in the nature of merger.
- Consolidated balance sheet in case of amalgamation in the nature of purchase.
- Practical problems involving the accounting treatment when purchasing company already holds shares in the vendor company –
Module - 4 Accounting for NBFCs and Mutual Funds-
- NBFC – Difference between an NBFC and Bank – Classification of NBFCs based on registration with RBI
- NBFC Factors – Mortgage Guarantee Companies
- Income Recognition – Prudential Accounting Norms – Asset Classification – Provisioning Requirements –
- Mutual Funds
- Contents of Balance sheet and Revenue account of the Mutual Fund (Theory only) – Computation of NAV(Theory and Problems)
- Accounting Treatment in the event of Disposal of Investment; Journal Entries
Module - 5 Developments in Accounting